Thursday, January 28, 2021

It's Too Cold at The Nuthouse

I'm sure you were on pins and needles wondering if we were plowed out from our snow storm (click here for recap); well, the truth is our plow guy did not return through that evening.  It actually ended up not being a major problem because we did not receive quite as much snow as they predicted.  The problem we did encounter was the temperature dropped dramatically and it is dangerously cold now.  Wind chills are in the negative numbers and the actual air temperatures are not much higher.  As if that wasn't bad enough, The Nuthouse furnace decided this would be the most opportune time to break down.

Allow me to take you back in time.  We are able to traverse the parking lot on Wednesday morning without too many problems, but I cannot understand why the plow guy did not return, but that is another story for another time.  Clearly, we are going to be stuck with his ineptness for a while since he is a "friend" of The Boss.  Back to the story - When we arrived in the office on Wednesday, it was quickly apparent that it was much colder than the usual "meat locker" temperature The Boss usually has the building set for.  When I looked at the thermostat, it showed the room temperature as being 52 degrees and although it said the heat was was lying!

By the time The Boss arrived, the temperature had actually gone down to 50 degrees and as you can imagine, we were all more miserable than usual.  The Boss walked in, walked over to the thermostat and immediately started pressing buttons like a crazy person.  After about three minutes he finally decided that the furnace was not working properly (wow, what was the first clue?  I bet it was the 50 degree building temperature.  Maybe it was that he could see his breath when he exhaled).  He then pulled out the phone book (they still make those?) and started calling around for a furnace repair man.  Now, I don't know how familiar you are with what happens on the really cold days on the east coast, but that is when everyone's furnace seems to go on strike and stops working.  So, it was incredibly difficult to find someone who could come out in a timely manner.  When it became apparent that we were not getting the furnace fixed any time soon, The Boss sent everyone home for the day.  As we were leaving, he said that he would keep everyone up-to-date on the status of the heat.  I couldn't get out of that ice-box quick enough.  I never so happy to get in a warm car and back to a warm home!

Fast forward to this morning (Thursday), I received a group text around 5 AM letting me and my fellow employees know that he wasn't able to get anyone to come out yesterday to look at the furnace, so we should just stay home again today (yippee).  It is fricken cold outside and it wasn't breaking my heart to hear that I should stay where it is warm and toasty as opposed to a big metal building that never seems to warm up even when the furnace is working properly.  I'm sure today will be the last day of being home and the furnace will be up and running for tomorrow morning.  Yup, I am a little disappointed.  I'm sure tomorrow, I will be reporting directly from The Nuthouse.

Keep warm east coasters and don't leave your furry friends out in this weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment