Monday, March 23, 2020

First Day Home - It is WEIRD!

Today was day one of working from home.  My day started by getting up a bit later than usual since I only had to commute to my home office.  I showered, put on comfy clothes, got my phone and turned on my computer....I was ready to start my day first day telecommuting!

We began the day with a staff conference call.  The Boss brought us up to date on the current status of the virus and the quarantine.  He encouraged  everyone to do their best to take care of their customers, but he also mentioned he doesn't expect everyone to work a full eight hours a day.  He also said we need to remember that many of our customers have shut down, so our work load will be diminished considerably.  He also reiterated that the safety of the staff and families are the first priority and that everyone needs to heed the warnings and if we do what we are asked, we will all be back to normal before we know it.

I made a few calls - many of which I could only leave voice mail messages because their offices were closed.  I guess I will not be able to collect on many overdue accounts during this time. Before I knew it, lunch time rolled in and  I went for a long walk with my dog, it was nice to be outside and to break away from the apartment for a while.  My dog doesn't know why he is going for a walk in the middle of the day, but he is beyond happy to be doing so!  Dogs are so easy to make happy - we should be more like dogs!

Now a small bit of info about me.  I have a dog and cat who are very important members of my family.  Cooper is a three year old beagle and the perfect stay at home companion.  I also have a two year old cat named Milo.  Milo is clearly not as pleased to have me invading his space during working hours.  I guess there will be an adjustment period for everyone during this quarantine. Suck it up Milo, it looks like I may be here a while!

I shuffled some papers and made my work area a bit more user friendly and it was time to end the day.  I survived day one and I didn't eat all of my rations, so it was a good day!

PS - Just an update from my virtual happy hour on Friday night.  My trip to the liquor store after work went well and it was busier than I expected.  I guess people want to be able to be drunk if they are going to have to spend an extended period of time with a spouse and/or children.  The normal gang attended and it was so nice to see everyone.  They  were hungry for more Boss stories and some even want to come to the office to meet him in person when all this craziness is over.  We had a great time and it was great to catch up.  It was a lot cheaper drinking at home instead of a bar and I have to admit, I drank a little more than usual (hey, it was cheap and I didn't need to Uber home).  Needless to say, I was hung over all day Saturday. It was worth it, I couldn't really go out to do anything anyway!

Stay safe Nutties and wash your paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment